Welcome to the #1 Toyota GR Corolla Forum and GR Corolla community dedicated to GR Corolla owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the GR Corolla Forum today!

How do you plan to drive your GR Corolla during the break-in period?

RaginCajun

Reactions
City
Lafayette
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'23 GR Corolla
On all my cars, I've always took it easy for this first 1000 miles and do my first oil change early (around 1500 miles) to get rid of contaminates. What about everyone else?

Reactions
City
Ormond Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 GR Corolla
I've always follow BMW's recommendation https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html

The right way to break in a new car
Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...
Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

During the new car break-in period, take note of the following tips:
  • For the first 200 miles, new tires will not yet provide full grip. This is because a release lubricant used in the manufacturing process has to be worn away from the tire surface. Adjust your driving accordingly to prevent accidents.
  • Similarly, the brakes won’t become fully effective for the first 300 miles as the brake pads and discs will need to adjust to one other. You should therefore drive cautiously.
  • The shock absorbers and springs will also need some time to become fully effective. That’s why you should not push your new car to its limits during the first 1,000 miles or so.
While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as it’s no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.

Reactions
City
Amherst
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 GR Corolla
In other words, drive like grandma for the first 1000 miles in your brand new hot hatch.
Oh the humanity!:cry: